BOWIE, Md. – For the second-consecutive season, junior Kaydi-Ann Wint (Kingston, Jamaica) of the Shaw University women's outdoor track and field team was crowned the 800-meter champion during the 2019 Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) Outdoor Track & Field Championship held May 4-5 on the campus of Bowie State University.
Wint unleashed a time of 2:16.01 in the 800-meter run for the title. Additionally, she garnered a silver medal in the 1500-meter at 4:56.96.
The Lady Bears finished sixth overall with a total of 55 points. Winston-Salem State posted 113 points for first place overall while Fayetteville State (107), Virginia State (106), Saint Augustine's (95) and Johnson C. Smith (73) earned top-5 finishes.
- Junior Laquell Harris (Nassau, Bahamas) captured a silver medal in the discus with a toss of 44.94m. In the shot put, Harris placed fifth (12.21m).
- The Lady Bears 4x4 relay team made up of senior La'Cherie Clarke (Raleigh, NC), sophomore Damoni Neal (Newport News, VA), senior Tashay Roberts (Bloomsfield, CT) and Wint made a late surges to claim the bronze medal after crossing the finish line at 3:52.94, edging Fayetteville State.
- Sophomore Luisa Cury (Ararquara, Brazil) placed fifth in the 3000 meter run (11:50.74).
- Neal also grabbed fifth in the 400-meter hurdles in 1:05.72.
- In the 100-meter, Clarke placed fourth overall in 12.20, just 11 seconds shy of the bronze.
- The 4x1 relay team that featured Neal, Clarke, junior Yanika McCrea (Kingston, Jamaica) and junior Dominique Higgins (Kingston, Jamaica) finished ninth (55.82).
- Senior Kiana Rogers (Fort Atkinson, WI) and Christine Ngeve (Greensboro, NC) placed sixth (29.04m) and eighth (28.27m) in the javelin, respectively.
For the most up-to-date information on Shaw athletics and its 13 varsity sport teams, visit shawbears.com.