MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. – The Shaw University women's outdoor track and field team posted a competitive showing in its season opener at the 2019 Coastal Carolina Invitational that was highlighted by seven top-11 finishes Saturday afternoon at the Doug Shaw Memorial Stadium. The Lady Bears performances was highlighted by a first place finish in the discus throw by senior Laquel Harris (Nassau, Bahamas) with a throw of 47.65m.
Other Notable Highlights
- Junior Yanika McCrae (Kingston, Jamaica) grabbed ninth in the 200-meter run (26.22).
- Senior Tashay Roberts (Bloomfield, CT) placed seventh in the 400-meter run with a time of 1:02.38.
- Freshman Gabrielle Gayle (Kingston, Jamaica) finished eighth in the 100-meter hurdles, crossing the finish line at 16.24.
- Sophomore Damoni Neal (Newport News, VA) placed fifth (1:07.20) and senior Kyla Sanders (Hampton, VA) came in seventh (1:08.84) in the 400m hurdles.
- The Lady Bears placed third in the 4x100m relay with a time of 49.34.
- Harris tabbed ninth in the shot put with a throw of 12.24.
Shaw will return to action next weekend at the 49ers Classic hosted by UNC Charlotte on Mar. 15-16 in Charlotte, N.C.
For the most up-to-date information on Shaw women's outdoor track and field and its 13 varsity sport teams, visit shawbears.com.