Shaw Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
Intercollegiate athletics places unusual demands on student-athletes. Athletic and academic interests compete for the student-athlete’s time, energy, and attention. The Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) of Shaw University believes that colleges and universities can and must provide the opportunity for student-athletes to be both successful students and fulfilled athletes.
The Shaw University SAAC committee is made up of student-athletes assembled to provide insight on the student-athlete experience and offer input on the rules, regulations and policies that affect student-athletes' lives on campus.
Functions of campus SAACs:
- Promote communication between athletics administration and student-athletes.
- Disseminate information.
- Provide feedback and insight into athletics department issues.
- Generate a student-athlete voice within the campus athletics department formulation of policies.
- Build a sense of community within the athletics program involving all athletics teams.
- Solicit student-athlete responses to proposed conference and NCAA legislation.
- Organize community service efforts.
- Promote a positive student-athlete image on campus.
2017-18 Shaw Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
President: Briona May (Women's Cross Country & Bowling)
Vice President: Breanna Edgerton (Cheerleading)
Secretary: Kyla Sanders (Women's Outdoor Track & Field)
Treasurer: Chelsea Long (Women's Basketball)
Media Relations: Thurman Trapp (Football)